Servings 3 portions
Cooking 45 minutes
- 6 slices of Au Pain Dore Croissant Loaf
- 18 slices (6 per sandwich) of OKA Classique Cheese
- sliced into approx. 1/8” thick slices
- 2 large Vidalia or sweet onions
- 4 Tbsp of unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp of olive oil
- ¼ tsp each salt and pepper
- Peel onions, cut in half and slice into ¼” thick slices. Separate the layers into pieces in a bowl.
- Place olive oil into a skillet and heat to medium high.
- Once the skillet is hot, add in the sliced onions. Continuously stir the onions until they soften, become translucent and have a slight but even brown color. Add salt and pepper.
- Turn the heat down to low, spread out the onions in the skillet into a single layer.
- Leave the onions in this single layer to allow them to slowly and gently cook down and caramelize. Then stir the onions every 3-5 minutes to ensure that they caramelize evenly and thoroughly. If you find the onions are sticking slightly, add a tablespoon of water to deglaze.
- Once the onions have fully caramelized, they will have a deep golden-brown color. As well they will have reduced in volume significantly. Once the onions are done, taste and season as desired.
- For maximum flavor and texture, we advise to double grill the Croissant Loaf pieces.
- Begin by buttering one side of all 6 pieces of the Croissant Loaf.
- Place all 6 pieces in a skillet that has been heated on medium. You may need to do this in 2 batches.
- Once the bread is golden and toasted, remove the bread from the skillet.
- Butter the untoasted side of 3 pieces of the bread. Place back in the skillet on low heat, buttered side down, toasted side up.
- Begin building the sandwich on the toasted side:
- Place 3 slices of OKA cheese on each slice of bread
- Divide the caramelized onions between the 3 sandwiches and spread evenly across the cheese.
- Place 3 more slices of OKA cheese on top of the onion.
- Butter the untoasted side of the remaining bread. Place on top of the sandwich, buttered side up, toasted side in.
- Continue grilling the sandwiches until they are golden and toasty, flip and repeat for the top side.
- Serve warm and melty with a side of beef jus for dipping.